Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Bay Area Reporter: Are you in the gay club?

Cynthia:

I disagree with the very concept of identity politics, that a candidate's sexual orientation, gender, race, age, class, etc. supposedly tell voters something important. Assimilation is the American ideal, and focusing on anything but the actual issues undermines that ideal. Is there a gay perspective, for example, on Muni that tells us anything important about our public transit system? On the Market/Octavia Plan? Rincon Hill? The Bicycle Plan fiasco? It's just a false path to cling to one aspect of identity under the assumption that it's a meaningful way to approach the important issues facing San Francisco.

This was how many commentators misinterpreted the Democratic Party primary. Obama is just a candidate who happens to be black---that's really how he sees himself---and Hillary was just a candidate who happened to be female.

So no, my sexual orientation is irrelevant, as is my use of drugs and my religion or lack thereof.

Regards,
Rob Anderson

Hi Rob,

I am putting together a story on the candidates who qualified for the Nov. election. I went back to our archives from 2000 (when you also ran in Dist. 5) and noticed that you declined to state your sexual orientation. I was wondering if you still have that position or if you would like to state it. Please let me know.

Thank you.
Cynthia Laird
News Editor
Bay Area Reporter
395 9th Street, San Francisco, CA 94103

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home