Thursday, March 15, 2007

What are the rules?

From The Wall, a local chatboard:
 
I just got back from UCSF where paramedics brought my daughter after a cyclist crashed into her as he speedily tried to pass her on her bike. She ended up with a fractured arm, a bloody nose and many cuts and bruises (no apology from the cyclist---he just seemed annoyed and anxious to go home to put ice on his elbow). And I'd just signed a petition for Healthy Saturdays thinking this would be so much safer than my own neighborhood! Seems I saw more than a few close calls of speeding racing bikers almost knocking over slower cyclists and rollerbladers. What are the rules? My daughter was just riding along slowly, and he approached her at racing speed from behind.
 
It's a Darwinian world on the streets of the city, with motor vehicles intimidating cyclists, cyclists intimidating pedestrians---and, evidently, other cyclists---and both intimidating pedestrians. Many in the cycling community often travel at unsafe speeds, and they hate to stop at stop signs. What's the hurry? I think it was Camus who pointed out that speeding is a form of violence.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing the inconsiderate asshole wasn't driving a car.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home