Thursday, March 15, 2007

What are the rules?

From The Wall, a local chatboard:
I just got back from UCSF where paramedics brought my daughter after a cyclist crashed into her as he speedily tried to pass her on her bike. She ended up with a fractured arm, a bloody nose and many cuts and bruises (no apology from the cyclist---he just seemed annoyed and anxious to go home to put ice on his elbow). And I'd just signed a petition for Healthy Saturdays thinking this would be so much safer than my own neighborhood! Seems I saw more than a few close calls of speeding racing bikers almost knocking over slower cyclists and roller-bladers. What are the rules? My daughter was just riding along slowly, and he approached her at racing speed from behind.
It's a Darwinian world on the streets of the city, with motor vehicles intimidating cyclists, cyclists intimidating pedestrians---and, evidently, other cyclists---and both intimidating pedestrians. Many in the cycling community often travel at unsafe speeds, and they hate to stop at stop signs. What's the hurry? I think it was Camus who pointed out that speeding is a form of violence.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home