Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Punks on bikes 3


A letter to the editor in the SF Examiner:

Dear Examiner:

My sympathies to the drug dealer who got questioned by the police as he rode his bicycle on the sidewalk (Man stopped for riding bike on sidewalk outs himself as parolee, SF Examiner June 12). He must surely be the most unlucky criminal in the City. After all, as plenty of pedestrians can attest, sidewalk bicycling is typically the most effective tactic one can employ if you want the SFPD to ignore you and let you be.

Regards,
Mr. Deane Hartley
San Francisco

Hartley adds this note:

San Francisco city ordinance prohibits bicycle riding on sidewalks by anyone over the age of 13. Last week, as a pedestrian, I experienced my seventh collision with a sidewalk cyclist in the past seven years. Bruises are almost healed. On my 3.3 mile lunchtime walks south of Market Street, I never encounter fewer than four sidewalk cyclists and often quite a few more. On the occasions I’ve pointed them out to nearby cops, they have taken no enforcement action. One of them wished me a nice day though.

Punks on Bikes 1

Punks on Bikes 2


Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it must be sad to be an old cripple/invalid, so filled with jealousy at people who can use their bodies to have fun!

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Rob Anderson said...

Oh yes, so much "fun" to run down pedestrians on the sidewalk.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"San Francisco city ordinance prohibits bicycle riding on sidewalks by anyone over the age of 13."

Incorrect. It is legal to bicycle on many sidewalks in the city. Learn the laws before you spout off inaccuracies.

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was hoping you would gregski since you have made it your goal in life to correct cyclists

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Gregski said...

Not gonna happen. I spent 45 fruitless minutes doing web searches to find out where in the SF traffic laws it specifies exceptions to the no-cycling-on-sidewalks rule. Couldn't find anything except 13-year-olds.

Unlike you, I am not so self-deluded that I believe I'm going to "correct" any thinking adult without backing my request (in your case, demand) with facts.

Very flattering to see that you hold Rob and his commenters to higher standards of civic awareness than the the Bicycle Coalition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home