Saturday, April 11, 2020

Sidewalk pandemic etiguette

Doherty family run at Fort Mason on Thursday, April 2, 2020, in San Francisco, Calif.
Photo: Liz Hafalia

From Ann Killion in the SF Chronicle:

“It is difficult to imagine that joggers represent a threat to others,” wrote John Swartzberg, an infectious disease expert and professor at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health, in an email. “We define a significant exposure...to be face-to-face contact within 6 feet with someone with a symptomatic infection that is sustained for at least a few minutes (e.g. 10 minutes). 

“The chance of catching SARS CoV2 from a passing individual in a public space in negligible.”

Still, tensions are running high. Nerves are frayed. So, just like everyone else, runners should be mindful of their impact...

Rob's comment:
That goes for walkers, too. Walking off the sidewalk into the street when approached by someone else seems excessive, but I see that a lot on my daily walk. Maybe it's people in the neighborhood that don't like my blog?

Since people are afraid, you can't take it personally.

Larry David has a common reaction about this stuff:

Mr. David ventures out for solo walks in the deserted neighborhood. “I cross the street when I see someone coming, like I used to do when I was a kid in Brooklyn and the Italian kids would shake me down for change,” he said. “And when someone crosses first, I know I shouldn’t take it personally but I can’t help it. How dare they?”

See also The Viral ‘Study’ About Runners Spreading Coronavirus Is Not a Study.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home