Sunday, September 02, 2018

Obama's mistake

I cringed when I saw a TV news clip showing Obama saying this:

“After all,” Mr. Obama said, “what better way to get a last laugh than to make George and I [sic] say nice things about him to a national audience?”

It was correctly reported in today's NY Times. Of course it should have been "make George and me."

I was a little surprised that it's also in the written text of Obama's speech. Maybe this is what happens when you no longer have speech writers and editors and are on your own when you write something. 

It also happens when you're an ex-president. You can't get away with anything!

The folks at English Language & Usage analyzed the common mistake made by this uncommon man.

The speech is also the most favorable account of John McCain I've ever read, even allowing for the fact that it's a eulogy. It's hard for many of us to believe that anyone can be honorable and still a member of the Republican Party.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home