Sunday, May 27, 2018

Censorship and self-censorship in the Arab world


...How was working on “Mary Shelley” different from directing films in the Middle East?
When I was shooting in Riyadh, I couldn’t go in the streets — I had to be in a van on a walkie-talkie, and I always had to be carrying the burden of censorship. 

Self-censoring is part of who I am when I work in the Arab world. When I started working in the West, the freedom was wonderful. It was nice to be engaging just with my art.

Can you say more about self-censoring and how it shapes your Arabic films?
I come from a conservative place and I always want to respect where I come from. I don’t want to go and do something that is outrageous, because it puts a block between you and the audience. I feel like I can present it in a way that they will like and understand, especially when you’re talking about women’s rights or empowering young girls in a conservative society. Because I’m from that culture, I understand it. It made me say things differently, and it’s an interesting exercise. You have to be creative to say things...

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home