Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Taliban play soccer

Ghazi Stadium under the Taliban

When the Taliban ruled Afghanistan, they banned movies, TV, music, and flying kites, but they allowed cricket, soccer, boxing, and volleyball. Of course women weren't allowed to participate:

For years[under the Taliban], Kabul's Ghazi Stadium was notorious not for hosting sporting events, but for the executions, stonings, and mutilations carried out there by the Taliban. Its playing field was so blood-soaked, it was whispered, that even grass would not grow there.

An athlete recalls what it was like using the stadium then:

"We did some warm-ups and went to do some shooting practice. When I lifted a barrel that was in the middle of the pitch, I found six amputated hands," Isaq says. "When I saw them it really affected me. I left the training session and the stadium and went home. I felt sick for one or two weeks."

But the Taliban still play their own version of soccer.

Is it okay with Theresa Sparks and the Human Rights Commission if I call these guys "savages"?

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Is it okay with Theresa Sparks and the Human Rights Commission if I call these guys "savages"?"

Yes.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Rob Anderson said...

Thanks, Theresa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home